I am officially a business owner!! I am uber excited!! Tech Biz Gurl is now a sole proprietorship, owned by me! A sole proprietorship means I'm not incorporated and as far as income taxes go, there is no real separation between my income and business income.
There are quite a few steps that went into this process, so if you ever want to start a sole proprietorship in Illinois, keep these in mind:
- Fill out the papers for “doing business as” Tech Biz Gurl
- Publish a legal notice of said DBA in a local publication and having it run for 3 weeks
- Apply for a City of Chicago Business License
- Register with the State of Illinois
- Open a business checking account